Registration and Notification

Victim Registration

To register, victims should contact the County Attorney’s Office where the crime was prosecuted. The County Attorney will then notify the following departments of your registration:

County Sheriff or Jail

Clerk of Court

The Iowa Department of Corrections

The Iowa Board of Parole

The Department of Justice


In addition to registering with these Departments, you may also register with Iowa VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday).  This is an automated system and will only notify you of offender movement, such as movement from one institution to another or after discharge. To register with VINE, please call 1-888-742-8463 or visit the Iowa VINE website at:

IMPORTANT: If you have registered with VINE (Victim Information and notification Everyday), this does NOT mean you are registered with the departments above. Please contact your County Attorney’s Office to become a DOC registered victim.

Victim Notification

As a registered victim of the Iowa Department of Corrections, you will be notified of the following changes in offender status:

  • Initial prison assignment,

  • Furlough/escorted visits to the community,

  • Pending discharge date,

  • Escape, or

  • Death of an inmate.

Victims are not automatically registered. Only those who register through the County Attorneys’ Offices shall receive these mandated notifications.

If the offender is sentenced to Probation, the Departments of Correctional Services may provide other types of notifications. Visit our DOC website to locate the probation/parole offices in your area

Please call 1-800-778-1182 to obtain direct information regarding an inmate’s movement within the system, Parole Board decisions, inmate discipline, inmate programming, etc.


Printed from the Iowa Department of Corrections website on May 26, 2018 at 10:41pm.