Victim Restitution/Compensation


As a victim of crime, you have the right to request restitution for monetary losses related to the crime. If you are the victim of a violent crime, you may also be eligible for assistance through the Crime Victims Compensation Program (see below for more information).

Restitution must be ordered by the court. The County Attorney’s Office is responsible for submitting restitution requests to the court. Once ordered, restitution information will be given to the Clerk of Court. For offender payment plans and collection, the restitution order is overseen by:                                                                                                      

1. The Court (for cases where the offender is sentenced to self-probation) or after the offender has been released from other forms of custody or supervision;

2. The local Department of Correctional Services (for cases where the offender is sentenced to PROBATION); or

3. The Department of Corrections (for cases where the offender is sentenced to PRISON);

If the offender is sentenced to the supervision of the Department of Correctional Services (Probation or local Residential Facility), the Probation Officer is responsible for developing a Plan of Payment within 90 days. This plan is submitted to the Clerk of Courts Office.

If the offender is sentenced to prison, the Iowa Department of Corrections is responsible for collecting restitution. Collections are deducted from allowances paid to inmates, credits to inmates’ accounts deposited from outside sources, or money earned from working while incarcerated. Inmates may earn $3.00 a day to $15.00 a day, determined by the type of job they hold. The DOC collects 20% of these monies and sends to the Clerk of Court in the county where restitution was ordered.

Crime Victim Compensation Program

If you or someone you care about has suffered personal injury from a violent crime, the Crime Victim Compensation Program may be able to help. This fund is managed through the Iowa Attorney General’s Office.

Compensation benefits may include reimbursement for lost wages, counseling, medical expenses, and other crime-related expenses.

For more information and/ or to request an application, please contact the program at 800-373-5044 or visit their website:

Printed from the Iowa Department of Corrections website on January 28, 2023 at 11:33pm.